Mattel Privacy Statement
Updated December 12, 2022
Your privacy is important to us at the Mattel Family of Companies (which includes Mattel, Inc., Fisher-Price, Inc., American Girl Brands, LLC, HIT Entertainment Limited, Mega Brands Inc., and their affiliates and subsidiaries) (“Mattel”, “we”, “us”, “our”). This Privacy Statement describes the information Mattel collects from you and how we use and disclose that information. It also describes what information third parties collect from you and how we use that information. You can click on the following links to go directly to the corresponding sections of this Privacy Statement.
- What Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- How We Disclose Your Personal Information
- How We Protect Your Personal Information
- Transmission of Information to Other Countries
- Your Choices and Controls
- Protecting Children's Privacy
- Other Important Information
- Information for California Residents
- Information for Nevada Residents
- Contact Us
What Information We Collect
We collect information from you and about you to provide you with Mattel Services. The information we collect depends on the specific Mattel Services involved and the nature of your interaction with us. The following are examples of the types of personal information that we collect and how we use that information:
|Context||Examples of Personal Information Collected||Primary Purpose and Legal Basis for Collection and Use|
|Account Registration||When you shop with us you may register an account to conveniently complete an order and place future orders. When registered customers return to the Mattel Sites or Services to place subsequent orders, they can identify themselves with their login information. For children, this is usually a username and password. For adults, this is usually a password plus some personal contact information, like an email address or phone number.||We use this information to maintain your account, including offering functionalities such as easy checkout and the ability to save user preferences and transaction history. We have a legitimate interest in providing account related functionalities to our users.|
|Baby and/or Gift Registry||We collect your name, contact information, shipping address, and information about an event for which you are registering.||We use this information to deliver gift registry related services. We have a legitimate interest in providing gift registry related services to our users.|
|Browsing Activity and Website Usage||When you visit our Sites or use our Mobile Apps, we and certain third parties collect information about how you use and navigate our Sites and Mobile Apps, such as which links you click on, which pages or content you view, and other similar information or statistics. We also collect technical information about your device such as operating system, browser information, Internet Protocol (IP) address, Universal Device Identifiers (UDID), and similar information.||We use this information to improve the quality of service when you visit our Sites, Mobile Apps, and other web sites of interest to you. We also use this information to remind us of who you are, save you time when you visit our Sites and Mobile Apps, and tailor our products, services and advertising to suit the personal interests of you and others. We have a legitimate interest in understanding how you interact with our website to better improve it, and to understand your preferences and interests to elevate offerings that you might find most useful. We also have a legitimate interest in detecting and preventing fraud. Where required by law, we base the use of some types of cookies upon consent. Please see our Cookie Statement for more information.|
|Catalogue Distribution||For distribution of the American Girl paper catalogue we collect recipient names and mailing addresses.||We use this information to deliver the American Girl catalogue.|
|Casting||When you participate in talent casting, we and certain third parties such as talent agencies, collect your name, contact information, you and/or your child’s age, and government identification information.||We use this information to cast talent for advertising, and to compensate you for your participation in these activities. We use this information to perform our contract with you or your talent agency.|
|Communications With Us||When you communicate with us, including contacting us for support, to provide feedback or comments, or to make a request or other inquiry, we may collect your name and contact information (such as e-mail address or phone number), as well as any other information that you choose to provide to us. In some cases, we record customer service calls for quality assurance.||We use this information to respond to and/or follow-up on your issues or feedback, and to provide information in response to your requests and inquiries. We have a legitimate interest in receiving, and acting upon, your feedback or issues.|
|Demographics||When you interact with Mattel Services, we may collect your and/or your child’s age.||We use this information to verify your or your child’s age, serve an experience that is tailored for the age provided, and to comply with our legal obligations.|
|Enhanced Mattel Services||When you sign-up for an enhanced subscription or certain community features at Mattel Services, we collect payment information, billing address, and in some cases your phone number and e-mail address. We also collect log-in information. For children, this is usually a user name and password. For adults, this is usually a password plus some personal contact information, like an email address.||We use this information to perform our contract to provide you with Enhanced Mattel Services.|
|Mobile Apps||When you download or access one of our Mobile Apps, we may collect certain information about your device, app usage, and in some cases location information (if your device settings allow us to collect location information).||We use this information to understand how you use our Mobile Apps. We may also use this information to create a more personalized experience for you when you visit our Sites and use our Services. In some contexts our use is also based upon your consent to provide us with geo location information.|
|Posting in Public Forums||If you choose to submit or post information in a public space on our Sites, such as creating a public profile, using our Ratings & Reviews feature to share product reviews, submitting content as part of Mattel’s sites dedicated to specific brand communities , or leaving a testimonial about a product or service, we collect the information you share. If you choose to submit or post information on a social media site where the Mattel Family of Companies maintains a presence, we may review this information to the extent it is posted on our pages or directed toward Mattel.||We use this information to understand your opinions and to provide a forum for discussion, asking questions, posting photos and reviews, and sharing experiences. We have a legitimate interest in receiving, your feedback and offering a platform for you to share your user experiences.|
|Product Testing||When you participate in Mattel’s Imagination Center or other Mattel product testing activities, we collect your name and your child’s name, contact information including email address, as well as information regarding product preferences and reactions and participation in the related activities.||We use this information to administer toy testing and research. We have a legitimate interest in receiving your feedback to develop and improve our products. In some cases, we may use this information to perform a contract we have with you to provide testing feedback.|
|Promotional Communications||When you sign up to receive information and offers, we collect your name and email address or phone number (as well as certain additional information you can provide such as the day and month of you or your child’s birthday to tailor such promotional communications).||We use this information to share information about our products and services as a matter of first impression or with individuals that consent to receive such information. We have a legitimate interest in sharing information about our products or services.|
|Purchasing (In-store and Online)||When you make a purchase in one of our stores, or place an order for a product or service on our Sites, or Mobile Apps, we collect your name, ship-to address, payment information, and billing address, and in some cases your phone number and e-mail address. This may include personal information about your child.||We use this information to perform our contract and to provide you with products or services.|
|Rewards Programs like the American Girl Rewards Program and My Mattel Rewards.||When you join one of our rewards programs, we collect your name, the month and day of your birthday, phone number, e-mail address, and mailing address. When you use your rewards account, we collect information about your purchase history and rewards activity.||We use this information to administer our rewards programs and to perform our contract to provide you with the benefits associated with the programs. We also use this information to detect security incidents and to protect against malicious, deceptive, or fraudulent activity in connection with reward program terms and conditions.|
|Smartphone Connected Products||When you use one of our connected products and associated Mobile Apps or Sites, we may collect your login information: a password, and some personal contact information, like an email address. We may also collect certain information about your device and app usage, in some cases location information (if your device settings allow us to collect geo location information), and any additional information you choose to provide like a photo, video, or audio file containing your or your child's image or voice.||We use this information to perform our contract with you to deliver connected product services, understand how you use our Mobile Apps to better serve your needs, and improve our Mobile Apps. In some contexts our use is also based upon your consent to provide us with geo location information.|
|Using Social Sign-on to log in to Mattel Sites and Services||When you use a social media account to access a Mattel Service or Mattel Site, we collect the user name and password you use to log-in to the applicable social media service and other information (such as friend lists) that you choose to share with Mattel.|
|We use this information to authenticate your account, and to customize the marketing and advertising that we show you. We have a legitimate interest in providing our users with streamlined account access.|
|Sweepstakes, Contests, and Promotions||When you participate in a sweepstakes, contest, or other similar campaign or promotion, we collect your name, contact information, and in some cases limited demographic information and content generated by participants. Some campaigns and promotions have a social networking component where you can choose to submit additional information such as social media profiles and handles, photographs, and other content.||We have a legitimate interest in administering our sweepstakes, contests, and other similar promotions. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about those that enter into our sweepstakes.|
|Your Wishlists||When you curate a wish list of products in your online account, we collect information concerning products you may be interested in purchasing at a later date.||We use this information to save the products you may be interested in purchasing at a later date. We have a legitimate interest in providing account related functionalities to our users.|
In addition to the personal information we collect from you directly, we may also obtain information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, social networks, vendors that provide services on our behalf, or publicly available sources. For example, if you have given Mattel permission to store your credit card information and your credit card issuer provides an account updater service, we may receive updated credit card information (including credit card number and expiration date) from the credit card issuer.
In some cases, you are not required to provide all personal information identified in this Privacy Statement to use Mattel Services, but certain functionality will not be available if you do not provide certain personal information. For example, if you do not provide certain personal information, we may not be able to perform a transaction with you, respond to your requests, or provide you with marketing that we believe you would find valuable, among other things.
How We Use Your Personal Information
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we use personal information in the following ways:
- To provide you with Mattel Services.
- To identify you when you visit our websites or stores.
- To fulfill your requests, such as to provide you with products and services or to process returns.
- To communicate with you about your orders, subscriptions, as well as our products, services, sales, offers, and promotions.
- To verify your or your child’s age.
- To send marketing and advertising communications.
- To detect security incidents, and to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, including attempts to manipulate or violate our policies, procedures, and terms and conditions.
- To protect our intellectual property.
- To comply with legal obligations, to establish or exercise our rights, and to defend against a legal claim.
- To provide and maintain the functionality of our website, including identifying and repairing errors or problems.
- To support core business functions, including to maintain records related to business process management, loss and fraud prevention, and to collect amounts owing to us.
Although the sections above describe our primary purpose in collecting your personal information, in many situations we have more than one purpose. For example, if you complete an online purchase, we collect your information to perform our contract with you, but we also collect your information so that we can quickly and easily respond to any questions about your order after your transaction is complete.
How We Disclose Your Personal Information
We disclose information that we obtain within the Mattel family of companies, and with our third-party partners for them to fulfill their tasks on our behalf. In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this Privacy Statement, we disclose personal information in the following circumstances:
- Affiliates and Acquisitions. We may disclose personal information with our corporate affiliates (e.g., parent company, sister companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control). If another company acquires, or plans to acquire, our company, business, or our assets, we will also disclose information with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
- Direct Mail. As is customary with catalogue businesses, we disclose certain names and mailing addresses (but not email addresses) of catalogue recipients with third parties whose catalogues may be of interest to you. Where required, we obtain your consent first. You can opt out at any time. We will remove your name from the list we provide to outside companies if you contact us. Please visit our Communication Preferences portal.
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to disclose your information with other unaffiliated third parties who offer products or services that may interest you.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. We may also disclose your information in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies, or to comply with your request for the shipment of products to or the provision of services by a third party intermediary.
- Partner Promotion. We may offer contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions in partnership with third parties. If you decide to enter a contest, sweepstakes, or promotion that is sponsored by a third party partner, the information that you provide will be disclosed with us and with them. Their use of your information is not governed by this Privacy Statement, unless a link to this Privacy Statement is presented when you enter, opt-in, or in the disclaimer or rules of the promotion. Please consult the privacy statement or policy that is presented on the entry or redemption page for the promotion for more information.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your information with a variety of service providers. Among other things service providers may help us to administer our website, provide database and server maintenance and security, conduct surveys, provide technical support, process payments, and assist in the fulfillment of orders. Our contracts with third-party service providers who access information require them to safeguard that information.
- Social Networks. If you provide social sign-on information to log in to a Mattel Service, Mattel Site, or third party services provided on any Mattel Service or Mattel Site, information is disclosed with your social network, such as the fact that you logged in to a Mattel Service or Mattel Site, or your activity on the Mattel Service or Mattel Site. We may send messages via the social network to communicate with you.
- Third-Party Technology Partners. We disclose information about usage and interests that we obtain through cookies and related technologies with third-party technology partners, and obtain consent as required by applicable law. Learn more at our Cookies and Technology Statement.
- User-generated Content. Some of our Sites or Services may provide the opportunity to post or upload content, like reviews, comments, videos, pictures, or social media interactions. If you decide to submit information on these pages, that information may be publicly available to others using the service. Social sharing at Mattel Services directed to children are structured so that no children’s personal contact information is shared between visitors unless parental consent is obtained.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We strive to protect the information you provide to us when you use our Mattel Services through commercially reasonable administrative, technical, and organizational safeguards. Please be aware that while we work hard to protect your information, no method is 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee that information security measures are failure proof.
We recommend that you learn about and use tools, habits, and practices to protect the security of your personal information.
Transmission of Information to Other Countries
The servers that make Mattel Services available, and databases where we house information may be located in the United States and in other countries that may have privacy laws that differ from where you live. We may use cloud services whose servers may be anywhere in the world.
- We take appropriate measures for the cross-border transfer of personal information, including the use of Standard Contractual Clauses or other mechanisms as required by applicable law. If you wish to obtain a copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses, they can be found here.
Your Choices and Controls
You can make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access To Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information, in a portable format, by contacting us as described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you.
- Changes To Your Personal Information. We rely on you to update and correct your personal information. Most of our Sites allow you to modify or delete your account profile. If our website does not permit you to update or correct certain information, you contact us as described below in order to request that your information by modified. Note that we may keep historical information in our backup files as permitted by law.
- Deletion of Your Personal Information. Typically we retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. You may request information about how long we keep a specific type of information, or request that we delete your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes.
- Objection to Certain Processing. You may object to our use or disclosure of your personal information.
- Online Tracking. We recognize and respond to automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "Do Not Track" instructions.
- Promotional Emails. You may choose to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send free newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials to you, as well as targeted offers from third parties. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service related communications.
- Promotional Mailings. If at any time you do not want to receive offers and/or catalogues from us you can remove yourself from our mailing lists by calling us (our contact information is below).Please note that our mailings are prepared in advance of their being sent. Although we will remove your name from our mailing list after receiving your request, you may still receive mailings from us that had been initiated prior to your name being removed.
- Promotional Text Messages. If you receive a text message from us that contains promotional information you can opt-out of receiving future text messages by replying “STOP.”
- Revocation of Consent. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information, then we may no longer be able to provide you services. In some cases, we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity. You may revoke consent to processing (where such processing is based upon consent) by contacting us as described below.
- Parental Controls. Parents can access their children’s personal information and make choices about how Mattel uses that information, including updating or deleting the information using the choices and controls above. It will assist us in fulfilling your request if you use the tools to identify yourself as a “representative” of that child.. If your child has created an online account through one of our Mattel Sites, you may also have the opportunity to manage your child’s account online. For more information on children’s privacy, please review our complete Children's Privacy Statement.
You may request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you, and exercise other rights as described above through our online portal, located here or by calling us at 800-524-8697.
Note that, as required by law and to protect the information we hold from unauthorized disclosure, we may require you to prove your identity for certain processes. We may verify your identity by asking you to submit your request via your Mattel account or by phone call or email. Depending on your request, we may ask for information such as your name, the last item you purchased from us, or the date of your last purchase from us. Following a verified request, we will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you in our files.
In some circumstances, you may designate an authorized agent to submit requests to exercise certain privacy rights on your behalf. We will require verification that you provided the authorized agent permission to make a request on your behalf. We must be provided with a copy of the signed permission you have given to the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf and verify your identity.
Protecting Children's Privacy
This section summarizes our Children's Privacy Statement, which you can review for complete details.
- We do not collect personal contact information from children at Mattel Services directed to children without the consent of a parent or legal guardian, except in limited circumstances authorized by law.
- We collect some information (like IP address, mobile device UDID, operating system, etc.) automatically and use technology like cookies to provide functionality and support our operations. We obtain consent where required.
- We do not ask for more personal information than is necessary for a child to participate in an activity.
- We take steps to prevent children from posting or publicly disclosing personal information.
- We use moderation and filtering technology (and in some cases human moderation) in an effort to prevent children from posting personal information without parental consent at Mattel Services directed to children.
- We may require you to provide a birthdate and we may automatically process country level location information before you can access a Mattel Service or provide personal information.
If your child has created an online account through one of our Mattel Sites, you may also have the opportunity to manage your child’s account online.
For more information on children’s privacy, please review our complete Children's Privacy Statement.
Other Important Information
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Third Party Applications/Websites. Mattel Services may link to, use or connect with other websites or applications that are owned or operated by third parties. Please note, we have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own and Mattel is not responsible for them. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third-party website or application for details about what information is collected and how it is used and/or disclosed.
- Children. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
Information for California Residents
Under California law, organizations are required to provide additional information to you about how they use and disclose information. Specifically, organizations should disclose whether certain categories of information are collected, “sold” or transferred for an organization’s “business purpose” (as those terms are defined under California law). We have included this California-specific information below. If you would like more information concerning the categories of personal information we disclose to third parties or affiliates for those parties to use for direct marketing please visit our online portal, located here or call 800-524-8697. We do not discriminate against California residents who exercise any of their rights described in this Privacy Statement.
- Uses and Disclosure of Your Information. The following describes the categories of personal information we collect and to whom we disclose such information for business purposes. Please note that because this list is comprehensive, it may refer to types of information that we collect and disclose about people other than you. For example, while we may collect and disclose credit card or debit card numbers in order to process payments for orders placed with us, we do not collect such information from individuals that submit questions through our website’s “Contact Us” page.
- Customer identifiers – such as real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol (IP) address, e-mail address, account name, signature, or other similar identifiers. We may disclose this type of information to third parties for our business purposes. This may include advertising networks, business partners, data analytics providers, government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), internet service providers, marketing partners, operating systems and platforms, our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, our service providers, payment processors and financial institutions, product and service fulfillment companies, and social media networks.
- Financial information – such as credit or debit card number, or other financial information. We may disclose this type of information to third parties for our business purposes. This may include business partners, government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), internet service providers, operating systems and platforms, our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, our service providers, payment processors and financial institutions, and product and service fulfillment companies.
- Commercial information. We may share this type of information with third parties for our business purposes. This may include advertising networks, business partners, data analytics providers, government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), operating systems and platforms, our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, our service providers, payment processors and financial institutions, product and service fulfillment companies, and social networks.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information. We may share this type of information with third parties for our business purposes. This may include advertising networks, business partners, data analytics providers, government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), operating systems and platforms, our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, our service providers, and social networks.
- Geolocation data. We may share this type of information with third parties for our business purposes. This may include advertising networks, business partners, data analytics providers, government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), internet service providers, operating systems and platforms, our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, our service providers, and social networks.
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information. We may share this type of information with third parties for our business purposes. This may include government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), internet service providers, operating systems and platforms, our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, and our service providers.
- Inferences drawn from the information identified above. We may share this type of information with third parties for our business purposes. This may include advertising networks, business partners, data analytics providers, government entities (as may be needed to comply with law or prevent illegal activity), our corporate affiliates or subsidiaries, our service providers, and social networks.
- When we disclose information collected from cookies and related technologies, such as how you interact with our Sites and Mobile Apps, with advertising technology partners in order to create user profiles and present advertising messages based on your preferences; and
- When we disclose certain names and mailing addresses of American Girl catalogue recipients with third party businesses whose catalogues may be of interest to you.
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information: Subject to certain exceptions, California residents have the right to opt out of the "sale" of their personal information. To opt out of the "sale" of your personal information as described in this section, visit DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION, or contact us at 1-800-524-8697. In order to designate an authorized agent to act on your behalf you must provide the authorized agent with written permission to do so.
In addition, the following disclosure activities may be considered a “sale” of personal information under California law:
Information for Nevada Residents
Subject to certain exceptions, Nevada residents may opt-out of the “sale” of personal information. This may apply when we share certain names and mailing addresses of American Girl catalogue recipients with third parties whose catalogues may be of interest to you. You may opt-out by visiting DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION, or by contacting us at 1-800-524-8697.
Mattel is a valid licensee, and participating member in good standing of the ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE RATING BOARD’S PRIVACY CERTIFIED PROGRAM (“ESRB Privacy Certified”). ESRB Privacy Certified seals appear on the Mattel Services that participate in the program. The ESRB’s Privacy Certified Program is designed to ensure that our information disclosure practices are responsible and appropriate.
To help protect your privacy, we have voluntarily undertaken this privacy initiative and have had Mattel Services, where the ESRB Privacy Certified seal is posted, reviewed and certified by ESRB Privacy Certified to meet established online information collection, use, and disclosure practices. As a licensee of this privacy program, we are subject to audits of services and other enforcement and accountability mechanisms administered independently by the ESRB.
If you believe that we have not responded to your privacy-related inquiry about a Mattel Service or Mattel Site that bears an ESRB Privacy Certified seal or your inquiry about a Mattel Service or Mattel Site has not been satisfactorily addressed, please contact ESRB at http://www.esrb.org/privacy/contact/ or:
Attn: Privacy Certified Program
ESRB is not affiliated with Mattel and cannot help you with non-privacy-related issues.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
- Mattel, Fisher-Price, HIT Entertainment, and MEGA Brands:
Mattel Consumer Services
636 Girard Avenue
East Aurora, NY 14052
In the U.S. or Canada: 800-524-TOYS (800-524-8697)
- American Girl:
P.O. Box 620497
Middleton, WI 53562-0497
Phone: 800-845-0005 Fax: 608-836-0761
Effective Date: January 1, 2023